Welcome to a new post in the HealthOne recipe series! We love to share seasonal and nutritious recipes so you're inspired to eat healthy all year round.
Vegetarian chili is the perfect recipe for the winter months. Packed with fibre, protein, and iron, it's the perfect hearty meal to warm you up this time of year.
This chili is ready in no time, and packed with vegetables and flavour - you won’t even remember that it’s meatless! Let’s get started.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chili peppers, drained
- 2 (12 ounce) packages vegetarian burger crumbles
- 3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 avocado (for serving)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and green chili peppers.
- When vegetables are heated through, mix in the vegetarian burger crumbles. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Mix the tomatoes into the pot. Season chili with chili powder and pepper.
- Stir in the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Top with fresh avocado. Serve and enjoy!
If you have any questions about transitioning to a healthier diet or living a healthy lifestyle, book an appointment at our Wellness clinic.
To stay up to date on our HealthOne services, products, and events follow us on Instagram! @HealthOneTO